ilovemylife

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pet Peeve

I think it is incredibly rude to cut people off in the middle of their sentence. It is especially rude to never acknowledge your criminal offense nor go back to their original statement.

Why do I think it is rude do you ask?

It is rude because it implies that you don't actually care what I have to say.
It is rude because it tells me you think what you have to say is more important.
It is rude because it shows you are impatient.
It is rude because it implies you have all the answers and don't care to know what I think.
It is rude because it disrupts my train of thought.
It is rude because it brings the conversation back to you and your thoughts.
It is rude because it drives me insane.
It is rude because it hurts my feelings.

Being cut off implies the other person was never listening to you in the first place. Even when "quietly" paying attention to you they are never really paying attention because the only thing they can think of is what they plan to say next. I cannot say I have never done this before as it is is easy to do, it is part of conversation. But I can pat myself on the back for trying very hard not to cut others off, almost always letting others get a word in edgewise, and regularly reverting conversations back to let others finish their thoughts. Toot, toot. There went my horn.

This lack of etiquette makes me appreciate the great friends in life who try their best NOT to cut you off, but when they do, always make a point to redirect the conversation to its original direction. I have a close friend who is very good about doing this. To this friend I say THANK YOU. You remind me that some people really are aware of their actions and care about the person they are talking to. It is NOT all about you.

If you are going to cut someone off, do it on the road-at least you'll never be face to face with that person.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts here. Hopefully you can teach kids a better way.

    This my first visit to your blog.


    http://day-accountability.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete