ilovemylife

Sunday, April 25, 2010

the other "thing"

I recently read a blog about what your "thing" is. Ok-here's your chance to go read the blog then come back to hear what I have to say. Go ahead now, just don't forget to come back.

Now where were we? Oh yes, my thing. I can think of lots of things. Right now I am thinking about food (a more common occurrence than I'd like to admit). Earlier I was thinking about, well, probably food again. OK, OK, this isn't going well. I think about clothes, about my job, how much sleep I got, what errands I need to do, if I need to do laundry, what my plans are for the week, who do I need to make an effort to contact....and the list goes on.

I am a girl. I think ALL the time. My best friend just gave a sermon in J.High about the difference between boys and girls. Boys are waffles, girls are spaghetti (yes, she stole it from a book). Boys compartmentalize things. When they say they are not thinking about anything, they are really not thinking about anything. When they watch a movie, that's what they are doing-watching a movie, and that's it.

Girls on the other hand are think constantly. We're like that "Google" commercial-have you seen it? Name one word and I'll give you 10 thoughts. Wanna bet?

Here goes--Rabbit:

I really want a bunny, I went to the mall by myself looking at bunnies, I do a lot of things by myself, I really like being by myself, is that weird? Oh well, I don't really care what you think. I'm honest. I'm bold. I have no shame. Yes, I know that's a ballsy thing to say. My friend M* is ballsy, she'll say anything to the point where it hurts. I don't want to hurt people, I hope I have more grace on people than her. I should probably stop being so judgmental of people. If you want to rock the Australian-uber-trendy-modern-man-mullet haircut then go for it. We had a worship worship leader this morning with hair like that-it was AWESOME. It was nice sitting with L* this morning. She's not engaged yet but she will be soon! I can't wait for her. It must be hard to wait. Learned I am not in much of a rush-at least not as much as maybe I thought I was........

See? Spagetti I'm telling you. Spaghetti.

Anyways...all that to say that life is full of things. Material things, job things, work things. But what is the one thing I want? The one thing that makes me forget all the other things. In all honesty, I don't even know if I know. I like doing lots of things. I have hobbies, passions, dreams, desires. I've got all of that. But what is my one thing?

At a conference recently we were encouraged to answer the following 6 questions to help us "discover" our dream job-what it is I am good at. My calling perhaps?

1. What do you do that is almost effortless from your perspective, but seems like a daunting task to others?
2. In what arenas do people consider you the "go to" person?
3. What facets of your job energize you?
4. What do you wish you could stop doing?
5. What organizational environments are you drawn to?
6. What environments do you avoid?


Answering these questions seems worthy of another blog (or a few) but also a worthy task.

I'm excited about where this is going. Excited about where this is leading me.

So what's your thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment