ilovemylife

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I made it!

I can't believe it's already been a week since we left for camp! Just one week ago I was panicking to get everything ready to go, get organized, get packed, and all while trying to stay sane! Well, I don't know how well I accomplished that, but the weekend happened without much of a hitch! A broken down bus and a few crazy med schedules, but other than that, it was a great weekend!

There are a few things that stand out to me about camp:

1) I got to know some of the kids in a new light. This is something I don't feel I get a chance to do on weekends since I am usually running around like a crazy person. Although this is unfortunate, I have to remember that our goal is to feed into our leaders who can feed into our kids. But the minister in me can't help but want to know and understand our kids and where they're at. Which brings me to something else I love about camp.
2) It was so encouraging to know that the theme and verse we were called to way back in phase 1 of planning really was/is where our kids are at. This year's verse, Psalm 18:2a, talks about God as our rock and foundation, that he is our safe place. In these crazy times our kids need to know that regardless of circumstances, God is our safe place and we mus make him the foundation of every aspect of our life.

3) Added benefit of camp: getting to hang out and know my co-workers on a different level and in a different context. As always, going away with people and spending time with them in a new place tends to bring out the best and worst of people, and ultimately brings you closer together. I love being part of a team that understands me for me. No, they don't totally get me yet, but in time, I am faithful that they will.

And finally, I didn't get sick! I brought all my own food, and although it was really difficult to find the time to eat and/or get my own food together, it was well worth the hassle that being sick can cause. Sure, everyone asks you about what you are eating and why you are eating it, but I must admit it is all worth it when you can say that you made it through a weekend away without serious cramping, bloating, and general digestive discomfort. However, I must also admit how frustrating it was to have to constantly explain myself. I am not one to bring attention to myself, but my situation tends to do that. While one person commenting on my food or asking me about it may not seem like a big deal to them, it does make a big deal to me. Why? Because it's not just one person asking me about my situation, everyone asks me about it. I cannot blame them though. I would be curious too. Let's be honest, I still am curious.
We had one 5th grade girl with potentially serious food allergies (possible induced by her mother) who also came to camp with her own food. I could not help but snoop through her cooler and dried goods to see what she eats, perhaps in hopes that I would have some new epiphany or discover a new GFDF food I was not aware of. But, much to my ado, I found the very same foods I already eat. However I did discover that this child eat an absurd amount of beef. Beef and dried fruit. Lord only knows how the girl goes to the bathroom.

So, in a nutshell, that was camp. I made it. I survived. And in the end, I loved almost every minute of it. I am also incredibly relieved the weekend is over with for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment