ilovemylife

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Going on a bear hunt...A.K.A. Camp

Well, the time is almost here for camp. I've been excited about this trip since I started my job back in July, and although planning it can be stressful at times, I am mostly anxious to get there and get to spend more time with my kids and leaders. And I am also anxious for it to go well.

I've been to camp before post-food allergy, and thankfully that went fairly well. Of course there were the few kids that noticed I was eating different food at almost every meal, but most of them were too busy shoveling food onto their plates and hoarding food like you never knew. Thankfully the leaders were also very understanding. I managed to stash a good stock of food in a random, very unused, very old fridge, and store a few other non-perishables that would keep me in the bathroom but from the discomfort so many foods seem to cause me.

So, like I said before, it's time for camp. I don't know the menu nor do I know how easy it will be for me to bring my own food, but once again I don't really have an option. My plan as of now is to bring enough snacks for between meals and then pack 5 meals that should get me through Friday night through Sunday breakfast. Now if only I had a few more exciting food options that would take the leap from the "bland diet" to the "super, uber, ridiculously flavorful diet." OK, maybe that's too much to ask for, but I'd be happy just to get to the "somewhat flavorful diet."

Speaking of which, I've noticed that I have become very accustomed to spicy foods since becoming GF. At Christmas time my brother-in-law purchased the most amazing pork tamales from a hole-in-the-wall Mexico restaurant that only makes them once a year. I must have eaten them for lunch and dinner for three days straight. I couldn't understand why I thought the tamales were so good, but then I realized it was because they were a new flavor--and what a flavor they were!

So back to my initial point: camp. I am a little nervous about how this will go, and not because I think I will be sick or hungry. I am nervous about the responses I will get from my leaders. I hate being difficult which means that the GF and DF (dairy free) lifestyle is like God's sick little punishment. OK, not punishment. "Character building" life experience. Did I mention that I have enough character? Either that or I just don't care to have any more. Being GFDF means I get a lot of questions and a lot of blank stares. I even get stares from the people who understand the complications of the lifestyle. Much like myself, they look me in the eye, doubting that anyone else could possibly understand their pain.

I guess I should not really complain though. There are safe foods I can eat and I have the means to buy those foods. All I can do is hope and pray that I grow out of my allergies. I grew into in my early 20's, so I should be able to grow out of it just the same, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment