ilovemylife

Saturday, February 6, 2010

White Bean Chicken Chili

Does anyone else out there love the indoors as much as I do? I realize that I live in a town where I can sunbathe through November and the icy-chill involves no actual ice-or chill, but the mere hint of gloomy weather excites me to no end. Why? Because it means I can stay indoors. I can relax in the calm space my home provides (+1 point for being single), catch up on good T.V. and revel in the ridiculous, and simply do whatever it is I do at home. It also means my house tends to be a little cleaner.

So, in light of "winter" as I have come to know it, I've been taking this time to practice my soup making skills. It comes in handy for a GFDF girl who likes food! So here I go with a few [modified] recipes for keeps:

White Chicken Chili
From the kitchen of a mom and dear friend

1 lb chicken, cut in small chunks
1 small onion, chopped
1 box (32 oz.) chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 cans pinto or cannellini beans, drained and rinse
1 or 2 bell peppers, chopped
jalapeno chili peppers to taste (jarred, fresh, canned)
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Put everything besides the beans, bell peppers, and jalapenos in a crock pot for 3-5 hrs. 1 hr. before serving add remaining ingredients.

If you do not have a crock pot (moi), sear chicken in olive oil in a large pot, then add and saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Once vegetables are soft, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Let simmer on low heat approx. 1 hr.

Tip: Soup is always better the next day (or 2, 3, 4 days later). I probably added twice the amount of cumin and would have enjoyed more heat from the jalapenos, but then again, I am a spice fiend.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment