ilovemylife

Monday, February 8, 2010

Frozen Pea Soup

From the kitchen of the Barefoot Contessa

2 T olive oil or butter
2 leaks, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 box (32 oz.) chicken stock
5 cups (20 oz.) frozen peas
2/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 teas. salt
pepper
1 can pinto or other white beans
1/2 cup chives, chopped (optional)
Other seasonings as desired

Saute leaks and onions in oil or butter in large saucepan. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add peas and cook 3-5 minutes until peas are tender. Add mint, salt, pepper to taste, and beans. Simmer until heated through, then puree in blender 1 cup at a time or using an emersion blender.

I think I added some dried basil and/or oregano and/or whatever else I found in my cupboard. Like I've said before, I am a seasoning junkie. The more the merrier.

Note: If you really feel like shelling fresh peas then you can rename this recipe "fresh pea soup" as it was intended to be called, but who really wants to shell (or knows how or where to) fresh peas? No one I know.

Calories: Approximately 150 calories for 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment