ilovemylife

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blame the Economy

I recently read a past post regarding all the things on my mind when I came across a statement that I made. The statement goes something like this, "I am only 22. How much can I expect from myself? But at the same time, how long can I keep using that excuse?" Well, I don't know how long I can use that particular excuse to rationalize my failures, but that's not to say I cannot blame the economy for my failures. And not just financial failures.

For example, this past weekend my grandma (who I had not seen in who knows how long) made a comment about the difficulties of me getting home to visit family in San Diego and the problem being the cost of gas. Sure, gas is pricey, but a heck of a lot cheaper than it was last summer. Let's be real for a moment. The reason I don't get home very often is because I have a crappy work schedule and on my day off I work. I think I might need to go to OWA (Over-Workers Anonymous...if only it existed).

However, what does is exist is the fear of the economy wrecking every part of our lives. The reality of it though is that I am 22. I am just out of college in my first "real" job. I was lucky to get a job in the first place, especially right out of school with such a great organization. But because of my age and income bracket, I did really have much to lose. Actually, I had nothing to lose. I currently have more now than I did before the economy collapsed (recession, depression, whatever you want to call it). If anything I still have hope that living through these "tough economic times" will teach me something about saving money and taking care of my finances more carefully so that someday I am loaded. But I suppose if I have not learned that lesson by now, then it may just be a lost cause.

Anyways. Now, you may be wondering where this idea came from. I have actually heard it from two people, the first of which was an educated college graduate in a similar boat as myself. On a recent trip to San Francisco on a birthday excursion I ended up at a bar with a few mutual friends originally from the east coast. While most of these people were a little on the dull side (one friend actually went back to his hotel after dinner to pick up a book to bring with him to read at the bar) I ended up having a conversation with one of the girls. Again, this is an educated, well brought up girl, likely from money. As we chatted about being young and probably a little irresponsible, she simply said, "Who cares!? Just blame the economy."

The second person I heard this from was a very well respected pastor at a leadership conference I recently attended. Same idea, different voice. So now I have this advice coming from both a secular college graduate and a respected, conservative pastor. Well in that case...

Therefore, I give myself free reign (and you too) to blame the economy for everything. Your cat died? It's the economy. You got a flat tire? The economy. Overdrew your checking account and late on your credit card payment? Definitely the economy's fault.

Go in peace and screw the economy! It sure screwed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment